The large city of Shimoga in the Indian state of Karnataka functions as the district headquarters of Shimoga District. The city has been officially renamed shivamogga in 2014. It is located in the central part of Karnataka, on the banks of the Tunga River and serves as a gateway to the hilly regions of the Western Ghats. Shivamogga is popularly nicknamed as the "Gateway of Malnad." Shimoga experiences a tropical wet and dry climate and has a population of around 3.3 lakh. Shimoga is an important center for education with its wide variety of prestigious schools as well as colleges. Industries such as Malnad Alloys, Pearlite Industries, Vijay Technocrats, Perfect Alloys, Shanthala Sperocast, etc. are some foundries that manufacture castings which are supplied to other related industries in the country as well as exported. The city is surrounded by lush green paddy fields, chili plantations, areca nut and coconut groves which contributes to the economy of the city. An IT Park is being constructed at Shimoga, near the upcoming Shimoga airport.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.