serampore is a famous historical town in the Indian state of West Bengal. While Serampore is the British spelling, the name of this town is spelled in different ways such as Srirampur, Shreerampore, Shrirampur, etc. The town is located in the Hooghly district and it functions as the headquarter of the Srirampore subdivision. The town is covered by the Kolkata Metropolitan Development Authority. Serampore is a pre-colonial town, situated on the west bank of River Hooghly. It was under the Danish rule from 1755 to 1845 and was known as Frederiknagore during the Danish dominance. This old city has stood the test of time and witnessed many social changes such as the rise and fall of feudalism, the advent of the Danes, the Bengal Renaissance during the British governance and subsequent industrial development in the post-independent era. Serampore has now become a satellite town of Kolkata and is undergoing rapid urbanization. There are many pristine educational institutions at Serampore - the Serampore College, Government College of Engineering and Textile Technology, Chatra Nandalal Institution are a few to name. The Mahesh area in Serampore is well-known for its yearly "Rath-Yatra" (Chariot ceremony in honor of God Jagannath) when thousands of devotees from all over the state flock to this town to witness the grand ceremony. The city of Serampore is very well connected to the rest of the state via railway and road.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.