The towns of Sangli, Miraj and Kupwad in the Sangli district of the Indian state of Maharashtra were clubbed together to form a small city. With a population of about half a million, Sangli-Miraj-Kupwad is considered to be the largest municipal corporation in South Maharashtra. This mini-metropolitan city is governed by the Sangli-Miraj-Kupwad Municipal Corporation, which is made of democratically elected members, headed by a mayor. The town of Sangli is to be found on the banks of river Krishna. Miraj is a major railway junction, a major healthcare center as well as an export hub of various Indian musical instruments. Kupwad, a small town earlier, is an industrial area harboring many foundries, oil manufacturing units, spinning mills, chocolate factories, cold storage, etc. Notable foundries located in this area are Tulsi foundry and J sons foundry. The famous chocolate manufacturer, Lotte, has its factory in this city. Spinning mills like Toto Toya spin ltd, oil manufacturers like Chakan oil mills are also based out of Kupawad. The city has a mixed group of multi-cultural residents who speak in various languages including Marathi, Urdu, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.