saharsa is located in the Saharsa district of Bihar, near the banks of the Kosi River. The city functions as the administrative headquarter of the Saharsa district in the Mithila region of the state. It is also the capital and divisional headquarter of the Kosi Division that includes three districts. The name Saharsa is believed to have a reference to the Sahars Assembly Constituency, that consists of this city and its neighboring areas. The name originates from saharsha which means laden with joy in Sanskrit. Many residents of Saharsa speak in Maithili. Hindi and Urdu are also widely understood and spoken. The Bagmati and Kosi rivers, along with their tributaries ensure that the area is rich in the alluvial soil which supports cultivation. The main food crop grown here is paddy and the main cash crop is makhana. Bamboo and Teak trees are also largely grown, apart from mango, litchi, mustard, corn, wheat and sugarcane. There are many reputed educational institutes in Saharsa and it has a good network of roads and railway that connect the city to all the nearby areas.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.