The city of Rourkela is a planned city located in the northern part of the Indian state of Odisha. Rourkela is often referred to as Ispat Nagar and sometimes as the Steel City of Odisha. Rourkela has one of the largest steel plants of SAIL, which is also known as Rourkela Steel Plant. The city has been selected to be further developed into a smart city in the third phase of the Smart Cities Mission. The city celebrates Rourkela Day on 3rd March every year. The name of Rourkela originates from the native tribal language of Sadri. It is an amalgam of two words - "rour" means "our" and "Kela" means "village" which adds up to "Our Village." The city is situated in the Sundergarh district of Odisha. The Rourkela Township is segregated into two townships known as Steel Township and Civil Township. The Steel Township comprises of the Residential quarters of Rourkela Steel Plant and the other part is known as the Civil Township. The steel plants drive the economy of Rourkela and most of the residents are employed in the Steel industry. With several places of tourist attraction nearby, reputed educational institutions like the NIT Rourkela and all the modern amenities needed for a comfortable living, this thriving city is a great place to settle in.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.