Rampur is a city located in the Rampur District of the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. A rich and thriving city earlier, Rampur was known for its industries like sugar refining and cotton milling. Its famous library has over 12000 rare manuscripts and an excellent collection of Mughal miniature paintings. It functions as the administrative headquarters of the Rampur District and hosts a majority of Muslim population. It is often referred to as the city of Nawabs. Rampur is famous for unique long-bladed knives known as "Rampuri chaaku," which has been recently banned by the state government. The Nawabs of Rampur were highly fond of poetry and other fine arts. Hence, the city is famous for its Urdu poetry which has come to be known as the Rampuri school of poetry. The city is also known for the Rampur-Sahaswan gharana of Hindustani classical music. The rulers of Rampur have gifted the city with architectural wonders - the Rampur Fort, the Jama Masjid, the Shahbad Gate, the Nawab Gate are a few to name. The economy of Rampur is driven by its major cash crop called mentha which aids in the manufacture of menthol oil. The kite-making industry is a prime industry in Rampur; artisans make hand-made kites of various sizes and shapes that are popular all over the state.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.