The city of Purnia in the Indian state of Bihar also functions as the administrative headquarters of both the Purnia district and the Purnia division. It is located in the Kosi- Seemanchal area of Bihar. Purnia hosts several military bases such as Indian Air Force, Indian Army, three branches of Indias Central Armed Police Forces, the Border Security Force, the Sashastra Seema Bal and the Indo-Tibetan Border Police. The name of the city may have originated from the Sanskrit word Purna?Aranya, which means complete jungle. Purnia has a large forest cover and is located in the Mithila region of the state. The city lies on the alluvial tract of the Gangetic Plain and numerous rivers flow through the area that are mostly the tributaries of River Koshi. The city experience a favorable climate and is often referred to as "Mini Darjeeling." There are around 3 lakh residents in Purnia. Maithili, Angika, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali as well as English are the commonly spoken languages in this area. Purnia has an agricultural economy. The fertile soil supports paddy cultivation. Crops like potatoes, wheat, khesari, chickpeas, lentils, barley, sugarcane, tobacco, chili peppers, maize, makhana, mung beans and jute are also cultivated in the area. There are several poultries and fisheries in Purnia. This rapidly developing city is equipped with all modern amenities and many educational institutions.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.