Pune is a bustling and vibrant metropolis in the state of Maharashtra. Being the second largest city in the state after Mumbai, Pune has become a thriving center of academia and business. The people of Pune lovingly call the city by its erstwhile name "Poona." Pune, coupled up with its industrial counterpart Pimpdi-Chinchwad and three other cantonments, forms the Pune Metropolitan Region or PMR. Looking into the historical past of the city, Pune was ruled by Shivaji and a line of Peshwas till the British took over in 1817 and made it the monsoon capital of the Bombay Presidency. Geographically, the city is located near the Western Ghats at one side, the Deccan Plateau on the other and the Mutha River flows along the left edge of the city. The cool, dry and soothing climate of Pune makes Pune a much-coveted city to settle in. Pune experienced the waves of globalization in the 1990s. The city hosts many well-known educational institutions and is often called the "Oxford of the East." The local economy of the state thrives on education, manufacturing and information technology. With its dynamic mix of capitalism and spiritualism, ancient and modern architecture, and its diverse cultural trends, Pune epitomizes the New India, a city worth exploring.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.