Pondicherry is the capital the largest city of the Indian Union Territory of Puducherry. It is affectionately referred to as Pondy and "Pdy" in short. Its official name has become Puducherry since 2006, which means new town in Tamil. The city is divided into 42 wards for effective governance. The 1st to 10th wards are located in the north of the city. The Boulevard town has Wards 11?19. The remaining wards are situated in the southwest of the downtown. Pondicherry has been a colony of the Dutch, Portuguese, British and French. However, the French East India Company dominated over the area for a long time and the city is widely known as a French settlement. The economy of Pondicherry is dependent upon the cultivation of crops such as rice, pulses, coconuts, sugarcane and cotton. Being a seaside city, it is also known for its fisheries and seafood. Pondicherry is a popular tourist destination. The city has numerous colonial buildings, churches and temples, within the systematically planned French style avenues, that still retain a colonial aura and attract tourists. The Promenade Beach and Auroville make the city all the more famous. Students from all over the country enroll themselves at the reputed institutions such as the French Institute of Pondicherry and the Pondicherry University.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.