Pimpri-Chinchwad, the twin city of Pune, is an industrial city in the Indian state of Maharashtra. The city witnessed rapid industrialization in the 1960s which developed the city into an industrial zone. Hindustan Antibiotics Limited or HAL, a public sector drug manufacturing company run by the Indian government, was the first one to set up at Pimpri-Chinchwad in 1954, giving a great start to the industrial development of the city. This city is often referred to as the "Detroit of the East" owing to its large number of industrial units that have crossed 4000 in number. This city has factories of TATA Motors, Mahindra, Bajaj Auto and many more. Various other automobile companies have set up their manufacturing units in Pimpri-Chinchwad. There are many other small as well as large-scale companies and heavy industries in the area that have opened up innumerable job opportunities in this city. The place that was earlier home to Marathi families found a lot of multi-ethnic and multi-lingual people from all over the country migrating to Pimpri-Chinchwad in search of employment. Schools, colleges, healthcare and entertainment facilities have opened up to support the lifestyle of the citys growing population. The city is well connected to Pune and other neighboring suburbs and is eagerly awaiting the Pune-Pimpri-Chinchwad Metro services expected to be operational in 2021.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.