Patna is the largest city in Bihar and the second largest in eastern India, right after Kolkata. It is also the capital city of the state. The city is located on the southern bank of River Ganga. This city was found in 490BC by the Magadha empire and was named Pataliputra. The city has been under the dominance of great dynasties such as the Mauryas, Guptas, Palas and Nandas, who made this city a seat of arts and education in the olden days. Being the 5th among the fastest growing cities in the country, the World Bank had ranked Patna as the second most business-friendly Indian city in 2009. It is one of the rapidly growing Indian cities with the GDP of around 7.29%, which is on the rise with each passing year. It is one of the oldest cities of India. A primarily agricultural city, Patnas economy is based on the production and export of sugarcane, sesame, grains and rice. In the last few years, Patna has undergone a sustained growth phase due to the ?Green Revolution? business, which saw the rise of the FMCG industry and excellent performance of the service sector. This city is developing at a rapid pace as many SMEs and heavy industries are expanding to offer people numerous opportunities, thus making Patna a highly convenient place for people to settle down.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.