Panihati is a developing city in the North 24 Parganas district of the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a part of Kolkata Urban Agglomeration with more than 3 lakh residents. Panihati municipality is a part of the Kolkata Metropolitan Area Development Area or KMDA. There are prestigious educational institutions such as the St. Xaviers Institution, the Narula Institute of Technology, Guru Nanak Institute of Technology, etc. in the vicinity of the city. The small city is well connected via railways with two important railway stations - Agarpara and Sodepur in the vicinity. The place is known for hosting many industries. The Bengal Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals at Panihati is a leading manufacturer of medicines. The Bengal Waterproof Works Private Ltd. is popular for their brand Duckback. The Texmaco Rail and Engineering Ltd. has five manufacturing units in and around Panihati. The residents are either employed in these industries or they travel to the various service sectors of the KMDA region for work.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.