Orai is located in the Jalaun district of Uttar Pradesh. This city functions as the district headquarters of the Jalaun district in the Jhansi division of the state. The NH-27 passes through Orai, which is midway between Jhansi and Kanpur. Orai is believed to have been named after a saint - Rishi Uddalak who is worshipped in the area. Orai was ruled by the Rajputs, the Chandels, the Mughals, the Marathas and many other regional rulers. Orai became a scene of much violence during the Great Revolt of 1857. The residents of the area who were in the 53rd Native Infantry deserted their officers and rebelled against them as soon as they came to know of the rising in Kanpur. Orai witnessed major changes after 1990 when industries were introduced to the area. HUL, Sun India Pharmacy and several other companies opened their units in and around Orai. The city was further developed as schools and colleges were established, roads were built and the infrastructure was improved. A predominantly dry area, Orai is watered by the Bethwa Canal that supports the production of grain, oil-seeds, cotton and ghee which are exported. The city has more than 2 lakh residents and they speak in Hindi.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.