North Dumdum is a thriving city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a municipality in the Barrackpore subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district and consists of localities like Nimta, Birati and parts of Rajarhat. The North Dumdum municipality was established in 1870. During the partition of Bengal in 1947, numerous refugees had migrated to this region from former East Pakistan. Initially, the bulk of refugees were mostly non-agriculturists and they made some vocational arrangements of their own by taking to squatting. They indulged in the forcible occupation of barracks and collectively took-over the private and government lands. By the year 1949, several refugee colonies had emerged in the area. Within very less time, these squatters not only found places to stay but also developed a properly functioning society with markets, schools, temples and eventually built colleges, hospitals and recreational centers. North Dumdum has over 2.5 lakh residents now. It houses the Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, which is the only international airport in the state. This area comes under the Kolkata Metropolitan Area and most of its residents work in the various service sectors of the neighboring metro city.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.