The city of Nandyal is situated in the Kurnool district of Andhra Pradesh. It functions as a municipality as well as the headquarter of the Nandyal Mandal in the Nandyal revenue division. There are over 2 lakh residents in this city and they speak in Telugu. The City was earlier known as Nandalluru. It receives its name from Nandi, the vehicle or "vahana" of Lord Shiva. The word Aalaya means house or abode in Sanskrit. The city of Nandyal is surrounded by nine Nandis. Hence, it was named as Nandi Aalaya. Over the time, the name got modified to Nandyala or Nandyal, which is the present name of the city. Nandyal is surrounded by nine temples of Nandi, the bull. These bull temples are collectively known as the Nava Nandi. The largest Nandi idol in the city is in Sri Yaganti Uma Maheswara Temple. The Archaeological Survey of India claims that the rock grows at a rate of 1 inch in 20 years. Nandyal is a major hub of industries as well as agriculture. The city is rich in natural resources like marble. Additionally, there are numerous rice mills and oil mills in the area apart from a few industries that produce milk, soft drinks, sugar, PVC pipes, etc. A few famous companies like Milk Dairy, Nandi Polymers, S. P. Y. Agro and Nandi Steels have set up their units in the city.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.