Madhyamgram is situated in the Barasat Sadar subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a suburb of Kolkata, located around 20 kilometers away from the capital city. Madhyamgram was feudal provinces of Bengal under the Ruler of Jessore during the Mughal era. It got passed on to the British East India Company after the Battle of Plassey in 1757. The Labanyabati river would earlier flow through the area and support the agriculture and trade. Paddy was grown in Madhyamgram and exported via river navigation. The place was also known for its fine embroidery work done by the Muslim inhabitants and traded to rich buyers in Delhi and Mumbai. However, the wide channel of the Labanyabati river endured years of silt deposition and turned into a canal. Its name, through the colloquial transformation, got renamed to Noai. It is now a tiny stream and people call it the Noai Canal. There are many textile mills and rubber factories in Madhyamgram which boosts the economy of the city. There are nearly two lakh residents in Madhyamgram and they speak in Bengali. The town has two graduate colleges- Acharya Prafulla Chandra College and Vivekananda College. Most of its residents travel to nearby cities or the metro city of Kolkata for work or education. The city is very well connected to nearby areas via railway and roads.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.