The city of Machilipatnam in the Krishna district of Andhra Pradesh functions as a municipal corporation, as well as the administrative, headquarter of its district. The city is also known as Masulipatnam and Bandar. It is an ancient port town which served as the settlement of the European traders in the 16th century. The British, Dutch and French used it as a major trading port in the 17th century. Machilipatnam experiences a tropical savanna climate with hot and humid summers and moderate winters. The city gets torrential rainfall during July, August and September. Owing to its vicinity to the Bay of Bengal, Machilipatnam is frequently hit by cyclones originating in the sea. The Machilipatnam Municipal Corporation is the civic body responsible for the governance of the city. This seaside city is known for its handloom industry, specializing in Kalamkari textiles that are exported to the United States and other Asian countries. Building boats and fishing are the other notable industries. Machilipatnam used to be a trading base for the Europeans and was known for the minting of copper coins, exporting diamonds and textiles. The AP state government is trying to revive the glory of the former port city. The Machilipatnam Area Development Authority is planning to set up a deep seaport and its associated industrial corridor at Machilipatnam which is expected to employ over 25,000 people.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.