Latur, also known as Lattaluru, is an emerging city in the Marathwada region of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The city is close to the state boundary of Maharashtra and Karnataka, on the Balaghat plateau. It functions as the administrative headquarter of the Latur district. The city is a celebrated tourist hub as its historical monuments and the famous Kharosa Caves attract many visitors. Over the centuries, the place was ruled by various great rulers such as the Satavahanas, the Sakas, the Yadavas of Deogiri, the Delhi Sultans, the Chalukyas, the Bahamani rulers of South India, the Mughals, Adilshahi, etc. Latur is a major producer of sugarcane, edible oils, soybean, grapes and mango production. The Keshar Amba variety of mango was developed in the Latur region. Latur is the largest trading center for soybean in India. The city is within the sugar Belt of Maharashtra as it houses more than eleven sugar factories. It also has a thriving market for fruits, oilseeds and commodities. There are many industrial units for agro-processing, edible oils, consumer durables, aluminum processing, plastic processing, agriculture and biotech. It has many cold storage facilities that are privately owned as well as owned by the state.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.