Kozhikode is a thriving city in the Indian state of Kerala. Nestling peacefully along the Malabar Coast, this city is popularly known as Calicut. The Kozhikode metropolitan area happens to be the second largest urban agglomeration in the state with a population of over 2 million. This city was earlier a major trading point of eastern spices and was hence called the "City of Spices." Kozhikode received the tag of the "City of Sculptures" or "Shilpa Nagaram" on 7th June 2012 because of the magnificent architectural sculptures around the city. Kozhikode has a strong mercantile aspect and business drives the economy of the city. One can find shops selling everything from saris to cosmetics in the Mittai Theruvu area which is undoubtedly a shoppers paradise. There are innumerable restaurants and sweetmeat shops in Kozhikode. Shopping malls are plentiful in and around Calicut. The city is home to some prestigious educational institutions like the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Kozhikode and the famous Calicut Medical College.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.