Kottayam is a prosperous city in the Indian state of Kerala. The city functions as the administrative capital and headquarter of the Kottayam district. Kottayam was previously known as ?Cottayam? and ?Cotym? during the British rule. Kottayam is situated on the banks of the Meenachil River. Kottayam is known to be is one of the main centers of literature; it is hence known as the Akshara Nagari or the Land of Letters. Many Malayalam daily newspapers such as Deepika, Malayala Manorama and Mangalam had started in Kottayam and are headquartered in the city. Kottayam houses the headquarters of The Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church. Various missionaries and the Christian churches established many educational institutions in and around the city during the British period. This city is often referred to as Chuvarchithra Nagari or the City of Murals. Domestic tourism has incredibly increased in Kottayam for its beautiful lakes and scenic hilly locations. Kottayam is a major producer or later and a trading center of natural rubber in India. It is the greatest contributor to the citys economy. The cultivation and trade of spices also boost the economy of Kottayam considerably. Kottayam experiences a moderate and pleasant climate with seasonal high levels of humidity.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.