Korba is an industrial city in the Korba District of the Indian state of Chhattisgarh. It functions as the headquarter of the Korba district. This metropolitan municipality is headed by a mayor-council form of government. The area is rich in minerals, especially aluminum ore. It obtains coal from the nearby Gevra and Kusmunda mines. This industrial area houses the National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC), the South Eastern Coalfields (SECL), the Chhattisgarh State Power Generation Company (CSPGCL), Lanco Amarkantak Power Plant, Bharat Aluminium Company (BALCO), and many industries. Most of these industries source their water requirements from the Hasdeo River. The residents of this city are mainly employed in its industrious zone. The city is fairly well connected to other parts of the state via roads and railways. There are many branches of the Delhi public school (DPS), Kendriya Vidyalaya (KV) and DAV public schools in Korba along with several institutes for higher education such as Government Engineer Vishwesarraiya Post Graduate College, Modern College of Management and Information Technology, Jyoti Bhushan Pratap Singh Law College, etc.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.