Kollam, formerly known as Desinganadu, is an old seaport and a thriving city in the Indian state of Kerala. It is a port city along the Laccadive Sea coast. Mar Sabor, an East Syriac bishop, had founded the Kollam Port. The city is situated on the banks of the Ashtamudi Lake. In ancient times, Kollam had a strong commercial relationship with the Chinese. Kollam city ranks 5th in the country and 3rd in Kerala in terms of per capita income and economic performance. The port city has an excellent export background. Fishing and dairy farming largely contribute to the citys economy. The government is about to establish a fishing harbor in the vicinity of the city in order to increase the fish production. Fisheries, hatcheries, turkey and poultry farms are also plentiful in the city. The city also has a rich mineral base. The sands on the beaches and the entire area has a good amount of heavy minerals such as Ilmenite, Monosite, Rutile and Zircon, which can be used for industrial purposes. There are limestone deposits and bauxite in and around the city. Kollam is often called the "Cashew Capital of the World", as the city is noted for its traditional cashew business. This city is a microcosm of Kerala and its residents are from various religious, ethnic and linguistic groups.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.