Kochi, the second largest city in the Indian state of Kerala, was known as Cochin earlier. Kochi is situated on the western coast of India, overlooking the Arabian Sea and is popular for its scenic beaches and beautiful backwaters. Sometimes called the Queen of the Arabian Sea, this historic city was a harbor and trading center for spices. The civic administration of Kochi is divided into 74 wards which include a few localities situated in the outskirts of the city. Kochi is considered to be the commercial capital of Kerala for its natural harbor and several industries in the areas of chemical, IT and health services. A major industrial area in Kerala, Kalamassery, is situated around 17 kilometers from the City Center and it not only houses manufacturing units but many IT and Financial firms. The LuLu Mall at Ernakulam serves as a landmark as it is the largest shopping mall in India. The Kochi Port, the Fort Kochi area, the Syro-Malabar Church and the beautiful beaches make Kochi and amazing location for tourism. It is also connected to nearby tourist destinations like Aleppy, Munnar and Thekkady. Kochi is the business center for Kerala as most of the major private banks and financial institutions have their offices in the city, catering to the different financial needs of people of Kochi.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.