Kharagpur is an industrial city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is located in the Paschim Medinipur district of the state. It is a densely populated, multi-cultural and cosmopolitan city. The first Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT Kharagpur), was founded in this region in May 1950. Kharagpur is known for hosting one of the largest railway workshops in the country. The Kharagpur railway station is a busy and important railway junction and it has the 3rd longest railway platform in the world, stretching for more than 1 kilometer. The city received its name from king Kharga Malla of Mallabhum when he had conquered it. Kharagpur Municipality oversees the administration and the civic affairs in the city. The city has around 3 lakh residents. Bengali is the most commonly spoken language in the area, although many residents speak in Hindi, Telugu, Odia and Punjabi. This city has one of the largest industrial setups in the state. The good connectivity via rail and road ensures availability of labor and raw materials. Many large industrial plants belonging to important establishments like Tata, Siemens, ISD Cement, Godrej, Century Extrusions, Humboldt Wedag, Bengal Energy, Ramco Cements, etc are located in and around Kharagpur. The town has many small rice mills and iron rolling mills. An IT Park is under construction in the city.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.