Katihar is situated in the eastern regions of the Indian state of Bihar. It functions as the regional headquarter of the Katihar district. It is known all over the eastern part of India for being a highly strategic railway junction. This city belonged to the Purnia district earlier. It is a part of the Mithila region. Katihar has a widespread railway network which connects the city to every other part of the country. It is known for its connectivity to the nooks and corners of the North East via railway and hence it is sometimes called "The Gateway of North-East." The city is located in the interior of Bihar and does not have a good network of roads. Katihar has many renowned educational institutions. Schools like Kendriya Vidyalaya, Ramakrishna Mission and Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya have their branches in the city. Quite a few well-known colleges in Katihar offer courses in medical sciences, technology. law and other disciplines. The city has a special inclination towards Movies and Sports. There are many movie theatres and open grounds to support these passions of the residents. The railway junction, which is connected to six different lines, is the main revenue generator for this city. Katihar is also a commercial city with plenty of shops, showrooms and restaurants.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.