Kanpur is an Indian city in the state of Uttar Pradesh. It was earlier known as "Cawnpore." It closely follows the state capital Lucknow in terms of area and population. The city is of utmost religious, historical and commercial importance. Kanpur stands on the banks of the eternal Ganga and is considered to be one of the major industrial centers of India. This industrial town excels in basic metal, chemicals and rubber products. Kanpur has a bunch of defense factories for Field guns, ordnance equipment, small arms and ordnance parachutes. The leather industry in Kanpur is also quite famous. Kanpur previously had a huge yield of cotton and was often called the "Manchester of India." Besides being the most industrialized region of UP, Kanpur is also recognized as an important educational center. The city hosts prestigious institutions like IIT Kanpur and Harcourt Butler Technological Institute. Moreover, Kanpur is closely following Kota and has recently become a hub of coaching center. Innumerable coaching institutes have sprouted in the Kakadeo area of Kanpur. The infrastructural facilities in Kanpur are under development. The city has a domestic airport, but people need to travel to the neighboring city of Lucknow for international flights. Kanpur Central is an important and busy railway station with rail routes connecting to all major Indian cities. The local roads in Kanpur are not well appreciated although many highways pass through the city. A peripheral Outer Ring Road is under-construction to allow the heavy vehicles to bypass the city and prevent traffic congestion in the city. Kanpur is famous for its pollution. According to WHO, it is the worlds most polluted city and thus hinders the development of the city.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.