The twin cities of Kalyan and Dombivli were joined and converted into the Kalyan-Dombivli municipal corporation in 1982 to improve the administration of the twin townships. The headquarter of this city is situated in Kalyan. Kalyan and Dombivli are both cities in the Thane District of Konkan division in Maharashtra state. The city comprises a majority of Hindu residents who speak mostly in Marathi. The weather in this city follows the exact trends as that of Mumbai and is known to experience the notorious Mumbai rains. The twin city of Kalyan-Dombivli had been under the reigns of the Mughal, the Portuguese as well as the British. The celebrated Maratha heroes, held in high esteem by the residents, were the only valiant defense against these foreign invasions. The city of Kalyan used to be surrounded by a fort wall which was constructed during the Mughal age and further improved by the Maratha rulers. It was called the Durgadi Fort. History claims that a small wooden temple dedicated to Durgadevi was behind the mosque inside this fort wall. However, this historical relic was dismantled by the British and the stones were used to build the piers of Thane and Kalyan. The idol in the temple was also stolen. Only the remnants of the north-west gate of this fort still remain to remind the people of the historic past.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.