Kakinada, a city in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh, was formerly known as Cocanada. It is one of the largest cities in AP and serves as the district headquarters of the East Godavari district. It was initially known as Kakinandivada village, which was eventually a Dutch settlement. They used export sarees that were called coca or koka in Telugu. Hence, the place was named Cocanada. The name was finally changed to Kakinada after Independence. This city is one of the fastest growing cities in Andhra Pradesh and is currently being developed into a smart city as per PM Narendra Modis smart Cities Mission. Kakinada Port has a natural harbor at Hope Island, which contains two ports - an anchorage port and a deep-water port. The economy of Kakinada primarily depends upon agriculture, fishing and industrial sectors. Paddy and coconut are heavily cultivated in the city. The industrial sector covers the manufacture of refined edible oil, fertilizers and natural gas. The local economy is additionally supported by its textile industry and manufacture of auto parts, steel-related ancillary units and fishing. Kakinada is globally famous for its sweet called kaaja. This Tier-II city got its first IT Park in 2007 and many software companies have opened offices in the city, providing job opportunities to the local youths.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.