The city of Junagadh in the Indian state of Gujarat functions as the headquarters of the Junagadh district. It is the 7th largest city in Gujarat, situated at the base of the Girnar hills. There are two rivers flowing through the city, namely Sonrakh and Kalwo. The name of the city literally translates to "Old Fort." The city was earlier a princely state and is also known by its previous name "Sorath." Junagadh was initially a part of the Saurashtra state and later belonged to the Bombay state. After the Maha Gujarat movement in 1960, the city became a part of the newly formed state of Gujarat. Mountainous region and forest reserves constitute the topography of Junagadh which doesnt support the growth of industries or plants in the area. The main source of economic growth for Junagadh is its mineral-based cement industry, agricultural production and the power sector. There are huge reserves of limestone in the vicinity of Junagadh, which ensures a thriving cement industry. The major crops cultivated in the area are wheat, oilseeds, cotton, mango, groundnut, garlic, banana, onion and brinjal. There are spectacular tourist spots in Junagadh. The Uparkot Fort is an impressive fort that was built by Chandragupta during the Mauryan rule. The temple at Somnath is famous among Hindu devotees. The Gir Forest National Park draws numerous tourists every year.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.