Jaunpur is a town as well as a municipal board in the Jaunpur district of Uttar Pradesh. Jaunpur is located in the Purvanchal area, towards the northwest of the Varanasi district in the eastern part of the state. A greenfield airport is currently under construction in Jaunpur. Jaunpur was founded 1359 by the Sultan of Delhi Feroz Shah Tughlaq and was then known as Sheeraz-e-Hind. However, the ruler of Jaunpur soon broke off from the Delhi Sultanate and founded the Sharqi dynasty at Jaunpur and continued to rule for over a century till the Delhi Sultanate reconquered Jaunpur in 1493. It passed on to the Lodis and the Mughals and finally to the British after the Permanent settlement of 1779. Jaunpur has extremely fertile land due to the presence of five rivers namely Gomti, Sai, Varuna, Pili, and Basuhi. The Indian government initiated industrialization in 1976. The Satharia Industrial Development Authority was set up with more than 500 acres of land to promote industrial, commercial and social development. Pepsico India Pvt. Ltd and Hawkins Cooker Limited have their manufacturing units in this area. The area is dotted with great historical monuments and a few worth visiting are Shahi Quila Jaunpur Fort, Shahi Bridge, Jaunpur Atala Masjid, Jaunpur Jama Masjid, Lal Darwaza Masjid, etc.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.