The scenic city of Imphal is the capital of the Indian state of Manipur. The ruins of the ancient Palace of Kangla, which is surrounded by a moat, is located in the center of this city. It used to be the royal seat of Kingdom of Manipur. The city is known for its several prestigious educational institutions such as IIIT Manipur, Manipur Institute of Technology, NIT Manipur, Manipur Technical University, Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Science, Manipur Central University, Central Agricultural University, National Sports University, Manipur University of Culture, etc. There are several branches of Don Bosco, DAV Public School, Kendriya Vidyalaya and Jawahar Navodaya Schools in and around the city that makes Imphal an educational hub. Imphal serves as an important location for tourism in Manipur - the Kangla Fort on the banks of the Imphal River has many temples inside and is surrounded by a beautiful lake. The Hiyangthang Lairembi Temple Complex, Imphal War Cemetery, India Peace Memorial on Red Hill, Ima Keithel Womens Market are few of the places in the city that are worth visiting. The economy of Imphal is primarily agrarian. The soil and the climatic conditions support the cultivation of various grains, oilseeds, fruits and vegetables. The handloom and handicraft industry is the largest cottage industry in the city and excels in weaving as well as cane and bamboo crafts. Tourism also fuels the citys economy.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.