Ichalkaranji is a city in the Kolhapur district of the Indian state of Maharashtra. The city is known for its textile manufacturing industry and the export of textile goods. This city was initially a Maratha Princely state which is situated on the banks of the Panchganga River. It lies in the Panchganga valley, quite near to the neighboring city of Kohlapur. There are seven hamlets within Ichalkaranji. Ichalkaranji Municipal Council looks after the civic administration of the city. There are 65 wards in the city that are governed by the elected council members. The textile business boosts the economy of this city and raised the per capita income to Rs.116,472. Hence, the city is often referred to as the "Manchester of Maharashtra." Engineering, especially the manufacture of measuring instruments, is the second largest industry here and considerably contributes to the economy of the city. The finance sector also has a prominent presence in Ichalkaranji and provides employment opportunities to many residents. Sugarcane is also heavily cultivated at Ichalkaranji. The city has several schools and colleges that offer different types of education and courses. There are many institutes offering research facilities.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.