The two neighboring cities of Hubli (or Hubballi in the local language) and Dharwad in the South Indian state of Karnataka were merged in 1961 to form the twin city of Hubli-Dharwad. The name "Hubballi" literally translates to "flowering creeper" in Kannada. The word "Dharwad" refers to a place of rest during long travel or a small habitation. While Hubli acts as the commercial center and business hub, Dharwad situated around 20 kilometers away is the administrative headquarter of the twin city. This city is the second largest in the state after the capital city of Bangalore. As history reveals, the area had been ruled by the famous Vijayanagara dynasty and later by the Mughals, the Nawabs, the Marathas as well as the Peshwas. Hubli, being the commercial hub, houses numerous of small and medium industries. The area is known for mining manganese ore and granite as well as for the agricultural production of cotton, groundnut and oilseeds. The twin cities are also adept at manufacture of textiles from the cultivated cotton. The green and scenic city of Dharwad, apart from housing the citys administrative departments, is also a seat of learning. Prestigious and renowned educational institutions like Karnataka Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS), Karnataka State Law University, The District Institute of Education and Training, University of Agricultural Sciences, etc. An IIT has also been recently established at Dharwad.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.