The city of Howrah is considered to be Kolkata?s twin. It is an industrial city situated in the eastern Indian state of West Bengal. The Hooghly River acts as a divider between Howrah and the state capital Kolkata. Thus, this city lies on the banks of the Hooghly River and hosts the administrative headquarters of Howrah district. There are four famous bridges in Howrah that connects it to Kolkata. Among these, the Howrah bridge is a popular landmark. The city has a long history and rich culture tied with that of Kolkata. The economy of the city is chiefly dependent on agriculture and manufacturing industries. Crops such as paddy, oilseeds, pulses, potato and vegetables are grown as well as traded. The Howrah railway station has remarkable connectivity. The busiest railway station in the state, it not only connects the capital city of Kolkata to all its suburbs and neighboring cities but also connects it to the rest of the country through the Eastern and South-eastern Railways. Howrah houses educational institutions and universities like Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU) and Ramakrishna Mission Vidyamandira. Tourists who visit Kolkata enjoy a stroll in the Indian Botanical Garden at Howrah which houses the largest Banyan Tree in the world. The Rail Museum located near the Howrah Railway station is an enjoyable experience for children. The Belur Math Ramakrishna Mission is a scenic spot that attracts tourists as well as devotees.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.