Haridwar is an ancient and holy city in the Indian state of Uttarakhand. The River Ganga, after having descended from its source in the Gangotri Glacier for 253 kilometers, enters the Indo-Gangetic Plains for the first time at Haridwar. Hence the ancient name of the city was Gangadw?ra. Haridwar is one of the sapta Puri or seven holiest places where, according to Hindu mythology, salvation can be attained. According to Hindu religious texts, Amrit or elixir had been accidentally spilled over Haridwar during the mythological "Samudra Manthan." The spot where the elixir had been spilled is known as Brahma Kund which is a celebrated Hindu pilgrimage. Moreover, the Kumbh Mela is celebrated at Haridwar every 12 years and millions of people from across the world throng to the city. They perform the ritualistic dip in the holy Ganga and seek salvation. Tourism drives the economy of the state and the place is always full of devotees or tourists. The hospitality industry is equally thriving in this city. Haridwar is also an ancient seat of learning and it hosts many prestigious educational institutions. The city is well connected to all parts of the country. The most famous places that people visit in Haridwar are Har Ki Pauri, Chandi Devi Temple, Kankhal, Pawan Dham, Bharat Mata Mandir, etc. There are quite a few places for shopping in Haridwar where people usually purchase items of devotion and inexpensive ornaments.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.