Haldia is an industrial city as well as a port city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is located in the Purba Medinipur district. Haldia has a major river port and an industrial belt, situated at a distance of more than 100 kilometers from Kolkata, near the mouth of the Hooghly River. The Haldi River, an offshoot of Ganges, borders the Haldia Township. Haldia is a center for the petrochemical industry and is being improved into a major trade port for Kolkata. The city has around 2 lakh residents, mostly employed in the industrial sector. Haldia has numerous factories such as South Asian Petrochemicals Ltd, Exide, Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Tata Chemicals, India Power Corporation Ltd., Haldia Petrochemicals, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporations, Hindustan Lever, etc. in addition to several light industries. Apart from being well connected to the rest of the country via railway and road, Haldia is also connected via waterway. The National Waterway 1 is a 1620 km long inland waterway. It connects Haldia to Allahabad and runs across the Ganges, the Bhagirathi river and the Hooghly river systems. Haldia has a mini Japanese township called Sataku. A Japanese community lives in the area, whose residents work as engineers and top executives in the Mitsubishi Chemical Corporations purified terephthalic acid plant in Haldia.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.