Guwahati, often pronounced as Gauhati in the regional dialect, is a scenic city situated in the north-eastern state of Assam. It lies on the foothills of the Shillong plateau and the Brahmaputra River flows through it. Guwahati is a larger expanse that encompasses the city of Dispur which is the administrative capital of Assam. Guwahati is the hub for trade and commerce in the northeast with the economy of the city driven by tea plantations and tourism. Industries such as pharmaceuticals, oil, electronics and textiles also contribute to it. The Guwahati refinery is one of the oldest refineries in India which contributes substantially to the economy and employment in the city. Assam is known for its tea. Most of the tea leaf processing and trade happens through Guwahati. The city also boasts of its beautiful handloom and textiles that are exported to all parts of India. Education is a rapidly developing sector in Guwahati. Some of the countrys finest institutions like the IIT have been set up in the city in addition to the older prestigious institutions that were already extant in Guwahati. Tourism is a dominant sector and the city acts as a gateway to the entire Northeast. The Kamakhya temple and the Umananda temple draw innumerable devotees every year.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.