Gulbarga, also known as by its official name Kalaburagi, is an urban agglomeration situated in the southern Indian state of Karnataka. Standing on the banks the Krishna and Bhima rivers, it is one of the most important cities in the state and also the administrative headquarters of Gulbarga District. The current administration of Gulbarga is carried out by representatives elected to service its 55 wards. The economy of Gulbarga is mainly dependent on agriculture. The place is known for the cultivation of Pigeon Peas and Toor Dal. Recently, upon the state governments initiatives, many industries have been set up in and around the city. Gulbarga has units to manufacture cement, textile, leather and chemicals. Gulbarga is the home to many educational institutions like the Karnataka State University, KBN institute of medical sciences and Gulbarga Institute of Medical Sciences. Gulbarga is well known as a tourist destination as well. There are many temples and forts in the area. Tourist spots such as the Bahmani fort, the Government Museum, the Holkonda fort, the Ferozabad Fort, the Sharanabasaveshwar Temple, Shri Sadguru Dattatreya Narasimha Saraswati, Shri Kshetra Ganagapur, Sri Hulakantheshwar Temple are frequented by tourists.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.