The ancient city of Gaya in the Indian state of Bihar has great historical and mythological significance. It is located on the banks of the Phalgu River and is considered to be a place sanctified by the Hindu, Jain and Buddhist religions. Gaya is surrounded by small rocky hills on three sides and the river on the fourth side. The city displays a harmonious mix of natural surroundings, ancient buildings, greenery and narrow by-lanes. Gaya has been mentioned in the great Hindu epics of Ramayana and Mahabharata. Rama, Sita and Lakshmana had visited Gaya to offer "pind-daan" after their father Dasharaths death. The place appears as Gayapuri in the Mahabharata. Gaya has many household industries like incense sticks, stone crafting, power looms as well as local sweets like tilkut and lai. There are some small-scale manufacturing industries for packaging, plastic products, scrap and handlooms. Gaya is an important center for religious tourism. Hence, there are numerous affordable Hotels and other accommodations which contribute to the citys economy. Gaya boasts of a bright educational history. Pristine institutions such as the Magadh University, the Gaya College, the Gaya Engineering College support the education of the youth. A branch of the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Bodhgaya has also been recently established in Gaya.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.