The city of Etawah is located in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh. Located on the banks of the Yamuna, this city functions as the administrative headquarters of the Etawah District. Etawah was an important center for the Revolt of 1857. The city witnesses the confluence of the Yamuna and the Chambal. The relics of the Great Hedge of India can be found in this city. History claims that this region existed even in the Bronze Age. The Hindu epic Mahabharata records this place as Ekchakranagari. This is where the Pandavas had learned about Draupadis swayamvara from the Brahmins. The Guptas, the Kanvas, Kanishka and the Naga kings have ruled over this area. During the Great Revolt of 1857, Etawah was occupied by the freedom fighters for six months from June to December, which disrupted the British rule for quite a long time. The economy of this area is supported by the cultivation of cotton, oilseeds, ghee and other agricultural produce that are locally consumed as well as exported. Special breeds of goats and buffaloes called Jamunapaari and Bhadawari respectively are raised in the area and exported. Etawah has a natural gas-based power generation plant. However, it doesnt have any manufacturing industry. Etawah is also known for its handloom products.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.