Durgapur, situated in the Burdwan district of the Indian state of West Bengal, is Indias second planned city. It is the third largest city in West Bengal and is also known as the "Ruhr of India." It lies beside the Damodar River and is the only city in the eastern part of India to have an operational dry dock. The city is a base of industrialization in East India owing to it coal-rich belt which supports the flourishing steel, cement, thermal power and chemicals industries. Large-scale industries like the Durgapur Steel Plant, the Durgapur Thermal Power Station, the Durgapur Cement Ltd, Graphite India Ltd, Hindustan Fertilizer Corporation, etc are based out of this city. Education is another sector that has a strong hold on this region. Institutions like National Institute of Technology, National Power Training Institute, Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute, apart from several Kendriya Vidyalayas and Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas School ensure quality education to the youth of Durgapur. Durgapur is not exactly a typical spot for tourism. However, some of the places worth visiting include Durgapur Barrage, Mohan Kumar Mangalam Park, Anand Amusement Park, Rahreswar Shibtola, Ram Mandir, Deul Park, Garh Jungle, etc.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.