Dharmavaram is situated in the Anantapur district of Andhra Pradesh. It functions as the divisional headquarter of the Dharmavaram revenue division and the Dharmavaram Mandal. The huge tank at Dharmavaram was built by Kriyasakthi Odeyar, whose mothers name was Dharmamba. The city has got its name there. Dharmavaram is known for cotton and silk weaving industries. The handloom silk sarees of Dharmavaram are popular all over South India. It is often called the silk City of Andhra Pradesh. The economy of the town is driven by the weaving industry. The major crop cultivated in this area is groundnut. Leather puppets are manufactured at Dharmavaram and the city is quite famous for it. Around 1.2 lakh residents live in Dharmavaram, who mostly speak in Telugu. Dharmavaram has adequate government schools to impart primary and secondary school education. It also has a few aided and private schools and colleges. The city has good connectivity in terms of roads and railway.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.