Dhanbad is second largest and the most populous city in the east Indian state of Jharkhand. It is popularly known by the name ?The Coal Capital of India?. Looking into the etymology, the name Dhanbad is believed to have been derived from the words "Dhan" which means wealth and Abad which means prosperity. When the words are put together, it means "prospered with wealth" for being a mineral-rich region. Another alternate explanation attributes the name of the city to its rich paddy fields as "Dhaan" in the local language means paddy. Both of these explanations make equal sense because the city is indeed quite rich in minerals and it also has the largest rice producing farms in Jharkhand. The chief economic source of the city is mining and some of the largest mining production units are situated in Dhanbad. Companies like Tata Steel, Eastern Coalfields Limited (ECL), Bharat Coking Coal Limited (BCCL), and Indian Iron And Steel Company operate in Dhanbad. Dhanbad Rail Division generates a lot of revenue and ranks second after the Mumbai division. Dhanbad has many reputed educational institutions such as the Indian School of Mines, IIT Dhanbad, Patliputra Medical College and Hospital, Central Institute of Mining and Fuel Research, etc. Places like Maithan Dam, Panchet Dam, Bhatinda Falls, Shakti Mandir and Topchanchi Wildlife Sanctuary serve as major tourist hubs in this city.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.