Chhapra or Chapra is located in the Saran district of the Indian state of Bihar. This city is located near the confluence of the Ghaghara and the Ganges River. Dr. Rajendra Prasad, a freedom fighter and the first president of India was from Chhapra. Chhapra gained attention and prominence as a river-based market during the 18th century when the French, Dutch, Portuguese and English established saltpeter refineries in the region. It became a municipality in 1864. The city has good rail and road connections with the rest of the country and it is very close to the neighboring state of Uttar Pradesh. Ambika Bhavani in Chhapra is a well-known shakti peeth temple.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.