The district of Buxar consists of areas under the Buxar Sadar of the old Bhojpur District and it came into existence in 1991. The headquarters and principal town of the state is Buxar Town. The district is surrounded by Ballia, Ghaziapur, Rohtas and Bhojpur District. The Buxar District consists of a total of 2 sub-divisions and 11 blocks. One town is located in each of the sub-division. The climate of the district is moderate. The months of May and April are considered to be very hot and the cold weather begins in November and lasts till March end. However, the rainfall experienced by the district is mostly in July and August. The district of Buxar is also struggling with the problems of deforestation which is asserted by the thin forest area. Firewood is still considered to be one of the major products of these forests. One of the primary reasons for the thinning of forest line is considered to be the development of irrigation programs around the district. Animals found in the district are Neelgain, spotted deer and monkeys. The perennial source of water is the river, Sone. This river-stretch provides irrigation to a significant portion of the district. Buxar has gradually turned into an agriculture-centric district with a large chunk of its land-use devoted towards agricultural activities. Rice, wheat, grams and pulses are considered to be the main crops of the district. When it comes to industry, there are many small and medium scale industries located in this district. The major SMEs in the district being the soap industry and the leather industry. The credit facilities in the district, however, are very limited. The primary credit-giving banks in the district are the Central Co-Operative Institutions. These banks are only limited to financing the short and medium term loans towards agricultural practices.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.