The Indian city of Burhanpur is a historical city located in the Nimar region of Madhya Pradesh. It functions as the administrative hub of Burhanpur District. It is situated on the bank of River Tapti. Historical excavations have revealed that the Rashtrakuta Dynasty had ruled over the area during 753?982 AD. In 1388, the Faruqi dynasty Sultan Malik Nasir Khan discovered Burhanpur, made it the capital of the Khandesh sultanate and named it after a medieval Sufi saint called Burhan-ud-Din. During the reign of the Faruqi dynasty, the city got transformed into a major center for textile production and trade. The place was later annexed into the Mughal Empire in 1601 by Emperor Akbar. Burhanpur is known for its textile industry as it is the largest center for the power loom industry in Madhya Pradesh. Over 300 companies that deal in interlining cloth and other types of fabric are based in this city. Balaji has its units for manufacturing pipes and agricultural equipment in Burhanpur. Additionally, there are many cotton and oil mills in the city. Burhanpur is also the largest producer of banana in Madhya Pradesh. Burhanpur is well-known for its thriving tourism industry. Apart from the scenic views, the city offers several beautiful spots for tourism such as Asirgarh Fort, Shahi Qila, Dargah-e-Hakimi, Swami Narayan Temple, etc.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.