Bidhannagar, in the Indian state of West Bengal, is popularly known as Salt Lake City. It is a planned satellite town that was developed between 1958 and 1965 in order to accommodate the growing population of Kolkata. It is a small-sized neighbor of Kolkata and is connected to the metro city via Eastern Metropolitan Bypass. The city is well planned and organized into numerous blocks. The city is also well divided into academic, commercial and residential zones. Sector 5 of Bidhannagar houses the IT sector of Kolkata where leading MNCs have set up their offices. There are several prestigious academic institutions in the area such as All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health, Government College of Engineering and Leather Technology, Aliah University, Bidhannagar College, National Institute of Fashion Technology, Institute of Engineering and Management, West Bengal University of Technology, etc. Apart from the thriving IT industry, Bidhannagar houses several government offices, especially of the West Bengal State Education Board. The residents of the area are either employed in the IT and government sectors within the city or travel to the adjoining metro city of Kolkata for work. West Bengals only International football stadium, the Yuva Bharati Krirangan is located in this area.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.