Bhopal, the capital of Madhya Pradesh, is known for its scenic beauty and old historic structures. The city has many natural as well as artificial lakes and is often referred to as the City of Lakes. The city is divided into two - old and new Bhopal. The old city is marked by its marketplaces, mosques and palaces, whereas the new city has modern buildings, broad avenues as well as many verdant parks and gardens. Folklore says that the city was founded by Raja Bhoja of the Paramara dynasty in the 11th century. The modern city of Bhopal was established by a Pashtun soldier in the Mughal army by the name of Dost Mohammad Khan soon after the death of King Aurangzeb. Bhopals delectable cuisine and splendid architecture was a gift from the Muslim rulers. During the British rule, Bhopal became a princely state and was ruled by four Muslim women who are popularly known as the Begums. These Begums gifted the city with its railways, waterworks, the postal system and even a municipality. Hindus and Muslims harmoniously coexist in this city that celebrates Diwali and Eid with equal passion and devotion. Bhopal, in recent times, serves as a trade center of electrical goods, and chemicals, cotton clothes and jewelry. The city also has various institutes of national importance. AIIMS, IISER and ISRO?s Master Control Facility are a few among them. Bhopal is known for its gas tragedy on 3rd December 1984, when methyl isocyanate gas escaped from the Union Carbide Insecticide plant and affected the lives of lakhs of people, killing thousands. It was one of the gravest industrial disasters in the history of mankind.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.