Bhagalpur is a historically important city. It is nestled on the banks of the Ganges in the Indian state of Bihar. Etymologically, the name of the city was derived from the word Bhagdatpuram which means good luck. According to the Hindu mythological texts, it was the place where the Hindu Gods and demons churned the ocean (Samudra Manthan) to procure elixir. Often referred to as the Silk City, Bhagalpur is a major commercial, educational and political center, and it has been selected by PM Narendra Modi for being developed into a smart city. The fertile plains in the Gangetic basin support the cultivation of crops such as rice, barley, wheat, maize and oilseeds. The city has been long associated with the silk industry - its Tussar Silk & Bhagalpuri Sarees are famous all over the country. The thermal power plant of NTPC Kahalgaon is located in the vicinity of the city. This industrial belt is equally important in boosting the citys economy. The Government of India has taken the initiative to establish a Hand-loom park at Bhagalpur. Private entrepreneurs have also set up a food park. Bhagalpurs Vikramshila Gangetic Dolphin Sanctuary is famous for Gangetic dolphins and attracts many tourists and environmentalists. There are various tourist spots like the Mandar Parvat, the Kuppa Ghat and a Stupa from the Pala Empire.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.