Bettiah is a city in the West Champaran district of Bihar. The administrative headquarter of the district, Bettiah is situated in the Tirhut Division of the state. The city is quite close to the Indo-Nepal border. Agar Sen of the Jaitharia clan acquired a large territory in Champaran during the reign of Emperor Jehangir. Emperor Shah Jahan made him the Raja of the area. His son Raja Guj Singh built the palace of the family at Bettiah. The palace suffered utter negligence at the hands of the authority and at present, it has become the local marketplace of Bettiah. The area passed over to the East India Company in 1765. The area is known for its music called the Bettiah Gharana which is one of the oldest styles of vocal music.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.